7/15/09

County Tournament Follow Up

As a new blogger, I thought I'd make a quick mention of my first lesson learned in blogging. Don't write a post on an upcoming event if the possibility exists that you may want to erase the event from memory altogether!

In my most recent post, I described having played a "respectable" qualifying round in our county tournament and that I was heading into match play in the Championship flight. I'm learning that you should follow up on these sorts of things, as I've had a few emails today asking whether I'm going to write a post about the match play.

It would be a short post since I lost 4 and 3 in the first round. It was pretty darn ugly, and once again, the familiar refrain ran through my head about hanging up the clubs. I left the course quickly, drove straight to the office and buried myself there for quite awhile.

As I drove home feeling pretty sorry for myself, I called my daughter at her dad's house to say hello. She immediately and eagerly asked me, "Did you win your golf tournament, Mama?" I replied, "No, I didn't. I lost today, but I had a really good time" (using the cheery voice to demonstrate that it isn't about winning or losing, but having a good time -- really??). Dead silence on the other end of the line, and for a moment it felt eerily akin to those phone calls to my dad after college golf tournaments to report how I played..... And then her voice again. "But Mama, I didn't think anyone could beat you."

And in the midst of my pity party, I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. Thank goodness for the child's perspective. My daughter thinks I'm an awesome golfer. That's pretty cool. Rest assured I won't be hanging up the clubs anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment